View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
maytag
Who's askin'?

If I was a young buck coming into this, (I was an arrogant kid..... so lets assume the worst here, Haha) I'd be thinking "all my buds talk about how easy swaps are.... this forum must be full of fuddy-duddies (or today's equivalent) who aren't adventuresome."
And I'd be wrong.

There are lots of very experienced builders here. And several of us are experienced swappers. (I was the guy who could build ANYTHING at the racetrack with a die grinder and a sawzall).

What im saying is: it's wise to check everything you learn on the internet.... even what we're telling you. But if you check, you'll find that all the advice we're giving you is right on the money.

Now...... having said all of that..... many times in my life, including with this 986, I've come to a place where I've dumped enough money into it, I realize I could've rather had something much, much nicer. But that's when I tell myself i would've missed the journey. And in my youth, it was much easier to buy a $1500 car and pour $3000 into it, $200 at a time for a couple of years, than it was to save $4500 and get a nicer car. So factor that too. But I've seen MANY projects start like that and then stall..... and get dumped..... because it quit being fun having a money pit they couldn't drive.

So take our advice: buy the right car first. I mean, at least with the right components. If you buy a high mileage S, with worn out suspension, then it's an opportunity to upgrade the suspension. If you buy one with a bad clutch, you'll get it for a bargain and you can do IMS while you're there.

You feel what we're suggesting, here?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote