View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #15
Russdawg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
If the engine made it to 80K - 100K miles on the original IMSB , then the engine will likely make it to around 150K miles when something else will cause the engine to fail.

However, if you simply cannot sleep at night because of worrying about the IMSB, then bite the bullet, spend the money to replace the bearing, and get some sleep.

You can live with some seepage and a couple of drips on the ground until the clutch needs replacement. Replace only if you find a puddle of oil under the car.

Ignore this concern. Only applied to early cars with brand new engines. Any car now will have tens of thousands of miles on it so its not a concern.

Yes, intermix is fixable. The only question is "at what cost?". Sometimes its simply the oil/water cooler (or the seals) that need replacement. Other times, its something major inside the engine. Mayo is good on a sandwich, not so good in an engine (and if found in the engine, skip that car).

Correct. DIY of the tank is a royal PITA. You'll need the extra $250 for beer during the job and whisky afterwards. And don't have any young kids around during the repair because you will definitely be cussing.

There are no cheap Porsche's. Parts AND shop labor are both expensive. Plan on the occasional problem and repair needing to be done and you'll be fine.

Thank you for your input. Glad for the confirmation on this stuff.

Everyday I can feel myself getting even close to driving one of these beasts. We have a fabulous road, highway 29 in Northern California that I would think is any driver’s dream. One day, I’ll find myself sliding corners, one hand on the wheel, other on the shifter, having the time of my life in this boxster!

Is it bad that I already am looking at upgrades and styling parts?

That GT2 style bumper looks fabulous and enables the possibility for a third, center radiator
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote