View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #1
Russdawg1

Buying a Used 986 Boxster

Hi guys, first post.

I’m looking into buying a 1997 Porsche Boxster, and I was wondering if I could fact check my research.

So obviously these cars have some problems. No argument there. How severe, and how soon it should be proactively replaced is my question.

IMS Bearing - Seems to be the big ticket item. My research has shown that on the 1997 year which uses the dual row bearing, the failure rate is a measly 1%. Im willing to take the 99% chance of a Porsche that will function fine, but will be looking to replace the bearing if and when the clutch needs replacing as its $400 or so for peace of mind. Thoughts?

RMS - This is less important, obviously excessive leaking is bad, but replacing it is only laborious and the seal is like $20. If it is barely leaking or not leaking at all, I am golden?

Cylinder liner - Someone had said that this was a problem only in 1998, the first 1997 year, didn’t have this problem, and it was addressed in the 1999 year on.

Checking for oil emulsion and/or coolant mixing. If I see this, is it fixable? I wasn’t able to find too much on this. All I’m aware of is if I see the mayo of death around the cap, find a new car to purchase.

Coolant leaking in the back (damp or wet trunk area) - New tank is $600 or so, knock that off the price and still purchase?

Anything else I need to be aware of? Most of my reading has led me to believe that this is a fabulous car other than these problems, which are generally quite expensive and would be extremely deterring if it wasn’t for the fact that it’s labor that costs the most, not the part. I can supply free labor

Thanks!
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote