View Single Post
Old 01-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #19
Anker

Garage
It is a mystery and I don't know what to suggest.

BUT, let me tell you a small tale about something innocuous that ended up being serious:

My daily driver is a Mercedes CLK 350 convertible. A really great car. In early December of 2019 I started noticing a very slight shimmy when pushing hard through a right sweeper. I wasn't even shure it was a shimmer, it could also just be a misadjusted door that was rattling. I tried pushing and pulling on the front wheels to see if there was any play, but couldn't feel any. Just before Christmas we drove up to northern Vermont. On the way it definitely got worse and I was also able to feel shaking when braking hard. I decided to call up my trusty mechanic to see if he could take a look at it when we returned and he promised to check it out the day after we returned. On the way back I was careful to not cause it to shimmy and dropped it off the same evening. The next day he called me and said that it definitely wasn't safe to drive. One of the ball mounts was close to separating and a bushing was shot. He replaced two control arms on both sides for a total cost of $1700.

The scary thing is that if I drove like an old lady I would never have noticed the problem until it was too late.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote