View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #1368
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
** Spec Racer Ford Gen 3 **

After 5 years of Spec Boxster racing, consulting other racers, talking to some very well known ex-pro drivers, and test driving a number of different race cars, I have made the decision to move to a Spec Racer Ford (SRF) Gen 3 car and race with the SCCA for the 2020 season.

I have purchased the #67 (below) which will be re-numbered to #54 and will be re-painted to my preference (colors TBD). My first SCCA race will be in three weeks at Cal Speedway in Fontana on January 24th.

I will be part of the MBI SRF team that is based at Buttonwillow Raceway in Central California. MBI is the home of four time SRF National Champion Mike Miserendino. MBI will provide full race support for the 2020 season including all car maintenance, repairs, tires, upgrades, transportation, along with full crew and hospitality support at each race. Mike will provide coaching to help get me up to competitive speed in the SRF-3.

This means that the #254 Spec Boxster will be offered for sale. The #254 is a great car and will serve someone else quite well on their Spec Boxster journey.

Racing with the POC and PCA has been one of the highlights of my life and with that foundation, I feel that I am ready to move up a level in terms of car capability and a level of driver competition. You all have heard me preach about not improving the car until your driving is better than the car and I feel that I have reached that point with the Spec Boxster.

I will also have the opportunity to race at a couple of the greatest tracks in the US this year such as Road America and Watkins Glen. Racing at all of the great tracks has always been one of my goals and I still have Lime Rock, Sebring, COTA, Mid-Ohio, and VIR on my wish list.

And yes, this means that I will be Boxster-less for the first time in more than 9 years! I hope that you'll continue to let me hang out here on the 986 Forum as an honorary Boxster enthusiast!

I haven't decided what platform to use for my SCCA adventure (Facebook? Insta? SRF Forum? Blog? YouTube?) but as soon as I do, I'll post a link so anyone interested can follow along.

Longer term, I have definite plans to be back racing in a Porsche in the not too far future. It would be great to campaign a Cayman GT-4 Clubsport or a 911 991 Cup car in a few years when I am ready for the big leagues.

Saying "Thanks" to you all somehow seems far too inadequate. You guys have no idea how much your support has meant to me. I truly and sincerely thank you.

Tom
Sorry to see you "go".

You were an inspiration to me joining the SPB ranks and despite never being on track together, a great source of information and camaraderie.

Good luck in your SRF endeavors, those I know went that route rave about it.

Give me a shout when you finally check off COTA on your list.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote