View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
seanboxster

Unhappy Cranks but wont run please help!!

I have searched a bunch of places on this Forum and others and have found similar stories but no concrete solution for me yet. I will start with the story of what happened and then what i have done so far also what i think i should do next. thanks for reading!

My car is a 1998 2.5L 5speed.

it cranks and sputters dies immediately. The back story is this...
Was in good running order (apart from check engine light for O2 sensors). was headed home stopped and got gas at a unfamiliar station. Had a short ride home where it sat for a few days then I took her out and within 1 mile it lost a lot of power. It happened right after a hard u-turn and hard acceleration. I limped it into a parking lot and check codes. There were miss fires from almost every cylinder. It would run but just barely probably only a few cylinders firering After moving it to line up for the tow truck it quickly got worse then wouldn't start. I should mention there was and is no smoke or oil loss.

At this point thought well I must have gotten bad gas. So I pulled about 3 gallons of fuel from the tank trough the pump. It looks perfectly clear and smells normal. I realized I never heard the fuel pump come on and prime when trying to start it. So I bypassed the relay , and them pump came on. I replaced the relay but still don't hear it when trying to start.

what i have done:

1.Pulled battery reset Computers and also put it on charger to test (it was and is
good)
2. replace both forward O2 sensors. (already had them on hand to clear a CEL)
3. bypassed Fuel pump relay to confirm the pump is working
4. Replaced Fuel pump relay
5. pumped and examined 3 gallons of fuel from the tank and it seems fine.
6. Observed the RPM Gauge reading upon start attempt( i have read this is a way to
confirm the crank position sensor is reading) Skeptical of this and would like to test
it, thoughts?
7. Also 6 months and 500mls ago i also put new spark plugs, Seals on plug tubes. oil change and filters.

what i am considering doing:
1. Replace fuel filter and clean injectors.
2. Further test Crank position sensor.
3. Replace DME Relay....but where is it? i know its in the trunk but which one? Is it
the same as the starter Relay? (i found a lot of confusing info online about this and
its location.)
4. Change Mass air Flow sensor. ( because i have a spare and why not)
5. Pull oil filter to examine for metal. (not sure if this makes sense.)

Any help is greatly appreciated! sorry for the long write up!

here are the codes at initial break down:
P0300, P0306, P0304, P0305, P1319, P1318, P1316, P1317, P1117.

Last edited by seanboxster; 01-02-2020 at 09:29 AM.
seanboxster is offline   Reply With Quote