Thread: Just curious...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
MartinJ

First point is that I had to have a soft top.

I priced and drove the 06 Boxster S and the Carrera Cab I could afford either and if I wanted a Carrera S Cab was not out of the question but I really did not investigate that option. The Boxster just seemed to be more balanced and more nimble, for my driving style the 0.2 seconds less on the 0 to 60 did not matter, I will never drive the Boxster to its max speed on the track so I did not care about the higher top end. The fit and finish on the new Boxster is at the same level as the Carrera and I did not need the extra seats (I have other cars). The price difference between the two (for the same options) came to about $26,000 and I just could not see the value for money in the Carrera.

The Boxster is simply a world class driver’s experience that even the average Joe can appreciate and enjoy and that was important to me.

I drove a standard Corvette. This really is a nice car for the money but for me it was not the driving experience I was looking for so even though I could have got one for less than the Boxster (with more options) it simply did not sing to my soul.

I read and occasionally contribute to many Forums (I own a Boxster, a Mercedes CLK and a BMW 3 series that will be sold soon) and I find it strange how many people argue over which car is better (BMW vs. Corvette vs. Porsche vs. Mercedes…). I have driven and owned a number of nice/high performance cars over the years and I have to say that any of the cars you mention (and even some of their less well endowed stable mates) are great cars. The one that is best depends on your needs/wants/budget at the time, I say drive them all and buy what sings to your soul, it is your money and you should not care that you will loose a specification bragging game at the bar one night.

So in a nutshell here is why I bought my Boxster; it is simply a world class driver’s experience that even the average Joe can appreciate and enjoy, it is refined, poised and has more than enough power.

Final thought; I tend to drive either the CLK (a great highway cruiser) or the Boxster (so much fun on the mountain roads where I live) and the real truth is that either car is good; it is just that if I am going to spend a day eating the miles with the cruise control on then the Benz wins, for a fun driving the Boxster is in a class by itself. I will eventually add some US muscle and V8 roar (read Corvette) to my car collection one day and on the days when I want lots of raw power I will drive a Corvette that is the real reason I did not look hard at the Carrera S Cab variety is the spice of life!
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote