View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
Brian in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo409 View Post
Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the water pump and thermostate or what the dealer charges to have it done approximate
It isn't even close to impossible, no special tools are needed. Like lots of things on the Boxster engine it's a little tight and you need to access from under neath and through the panel behind the seats. We don't have a gauge of your abilities or limberness, tho. Things that might be easy for most of us might be difficult for you.

I wouldn't have it done at the dealer, they charge inflated parts and labor prices. An independent European repair garage would be appropriate. Go with their parts recommendation, you really do want pump with a fiber impeller, eventual failure won't grind up the front of the aluminum engine. OEM is expensive, but the best.

If you're a newbie or inexperienced diy mechanic, I'd do it myself. You never learn if you don't try new things. The one time I tried to rebuild an old Toyota automatic transmission, I found out that I shouldn't do automatics--ended up converting the car to a 5 speed from a wrecked one.:dance:

Good Luck.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote