Thread: Just curious...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #13
Brucelee

Smile

"i'm not sure i agree with that. there are some distinct advantages to the 911 configuration. while it is difficult to master and part of the pleasure is mastering these difficult dynamics, the ability of a 911 to enter a curve way too hot, bleed off speed on entry, and rocket out of the apex using the throttle like a rudder is pretty unique. the ability to lay down the power exiting a corner is unparalleled. a seasoned driver in a 911 on an unfamiliar course will have a distinct advantage, in my opinion, over drivers in other cars. on well known courses, the advantage diminishes, but it really depends on the course. some types are very 911 friendly. others are not."

Unless they have repealed the law of physics in the last few minutes, this is simply a statement not supported by reality.

As pointed out above, if the rear engine car had any distinct advantages, it would be the design of choice in F1 and all manner of road racing.

It clearly is not. In fact, to my memory, the only manufacturer of note to run this design is Porsche.

Could it be that the 911 is so configured due to its origin as a road car, ie. it was what F. Porsche could source when he started his company and could buy components from VW?

To wit, now many VW bugs do we see dominating racing at any level.

C'mon guys, the 911 does well in spite of its design, not because of it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote