View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
Qingdao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
Here’s conundrum part 2:
I’ve sold my place in the city, and building a little A-frame out in the Arbuckle mountains.
This means a 60 mile commute each way to get to the city for most of my work.
I’d like to put the Toyota away unless it’s needed, and get a car that’s better on gas and makes the commute much more fun!
I’ve thought seriously about getting another base 986 Boxster, but also thought about a similar age Mazda Miata.

Boxster pros: sexy and fun, tough and reliable (based on past experience), decent gas mileage for the performance, two trunks and decent interior room for a roadster.

Boxster cons: reliable, but still expensive to maintain. Will have a shelf life of 175,000 to 225,000 miles before the major stuff starts to blow.

Miata pros: cheaper to buy and much cheaper to maintain, slower but still fun to drive, tons were sold, so tons of parts availability, it’s japanese, so major stuff can potentially last for hundreds of thousands of miles with proper care, slightly better mileage than Boxster.

Miata cons: harder to find a clean one, tuners have destroyed many of them, not as sexy or fun, noticeably more cramped interior and one tiny trunk, will be less safe and comfortable on long Highway runs.

I’d love anyone that could chime in with their opinions, especially if you’ve had experience with both of these cars.

Thank you for sticking with my long-winded update!

NB Miata's aren't that much slower than a base model boxster. I know my wife has owned one of each in the past.

Boxsters are more refined in the cabin.

If you have need for space beyond a small bag; a miata is not for you.

Surprisingly you'll get about the same fuel mileage out of both cars.

The NB miata feels smaller for better or worse.

More shops are willing to work on a Miata... most shops will not work on a Porsche. (I know I turn down exotics)

^^^^Just food for thought.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Miata.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used

Last edited by Qingdao; 12-17-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote