View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 05:44 AM   #1
monopola

Boxster 986 - questions

So, me again with a looooots of questions 😊

My car is here in this thread – My first Porsche :)

As said it is my first Porsche, I used to have BMW Z, then replace it with a bike Honda CBR and it was huge mistake 😊 I love driving cabrio, you can feel the wind, you can see great view on a nice road, listen to music, talk with someone, smoke (I am a smoker ☹ ) and all this was missing with the bike, so I sold it and now I am back to driving something that really makes me happy – convertible!

So, I bought the Porsche a little bit by accident. The car was for sale in the Huyndai official dealership, they bought it back from a guy buying a new Hyundai and was for sale entire summer. But the photos were bad and In Bulgaria convertibles are not very popular (bad roads, not very wealthy country and so on), so they were not able to sell it during the season and in November (start of winter here) after a lot of negotiations this beauty became mine at a very good deal.

And here my problems appear 😊 Just to imagine how rare such cars here are – at the time of writing this there only 16 Boxsters for sale in Bulgaria. And I am not talking only 986s. All models of Boxster – only 16 listings.

So, as you can presume – it is hard to find a mechanic that is familiar with such car and I will really need your help with advices. Not to mention the total lack of parts and so. But because it is hard doesn’t mean that you have to leave it 😊

And here are what I need to do and what I will need help with:

1. Initial servicing – anything tricky with that? I will replace oil, fluids, filters, brakes and so and I will appreciate recommendations on anything else I should take care of. Tried searching the forum for a simple “what to do” as initial service, but was not able to find such tread.

2. Biggest issue with the car yet – the top. You can see in the images that there is one broken “leg”, which is part of the top mechanism, but also it is missing some parts. Also, I have this long cable under the wheel, which I suppose should be
connected with the top’s motor. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

3. Passenger air bag – looks like the cover is not for the same model as it appears not to be fixed as it should be. Is this possible or do you think that I should just push it harder?

4. Wheel – I am not sure that this is original wheel for the car. And also looks like that the airbag was open somewhen as the center of the wheel feels cracked. What do you think – should I look for new wheel or at least for new airbag?

5. Ignition – there is this problem – when I turn the key to start the car the key should turn back a little. Mine doesn’t always do that and the car is working, but the wipes and lights are not. When I manually turn It back it is all good. Maybe I should replace the ignition.

6. IMS bearing – guys, what is this ☹ I am a lawyer and English is not my native language, so could someone explain it very simple – should I be worried, should I replace it and if so where to buy it?

7. Interior parts – I am missing some of them or need to replace (covers on the sensor near the mirror, ashtray is not working, the key for the armrest, the light inside should be replaced, the center console disk holder is useless). Should I be looking in ebay and pelican parts? Any other sources for such small things?

8. The box behind seats – I have seen cars with a nice box, which is mounted behind the seats. What is the name of this thing in English and any idea where to buy it from?

Enough questions for now, right 😊
I will really appreciate any advices. Of course, will keep searching the forum and hope to find answers by myself.
Thanks! This is great community and I am happy to be here 😊
monopola is offline   Reply With Quote