Thread: 2002 986 s
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Based on what you said, there is not enough info to know what the problem is. Oil can leak from a few places that are not a big deal, but if it is leaking from the IMS seal or rear main seal, the transmission is going to have to be removed to fully evaluate it. One of my cars was leaking oil from the IMS seal and the bearing was still in good shape - no damage at all to the engine. I could have just replaced the seal, but went ahead and replaced the bearing while it was all right there easy to access.

If you can remove your oil filter and check it for debris, that can be an indication if there's a major problem, but if it looks clean that doesn't necessarily mean there's not a problem. If you don't feel comfortable doing your own work, ask on the forum for a recommended shop in your area to do the work. Some mechanics know what they are doing, others have no clue about a Porsche 986 and will tell you the IMS is failing if ANYTHING looks bad.

Welcome to the forum.