View Single Post
Old 11-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
spdrcr21

Loud bang, then engine died

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I need a bit of advice. I have a 2003 Boxster S manual with 123k miles that I purchased a month ago. The IMS bearing was replaced (IMS Retrofit) a few years ago by the previous owner. The was running great. I was on the highway last night driving when all of a sudden I hear/feel a loud bang and lose engine power. I immediately pull over and shut the car down. I did try starting it once, but heard a crunching sound so I shut the engine down. I did notice a small puddle of oil underneath the car as it was being put on the tow truck. I just dropped the oil pan and see no oil in the metal, but there is water and coolant mixed. I've researched a bit and it looks like it may be a cracked head? There is a oil leak that looks to be coming from the top part of the engine. What are the next steps to troubleshoot this? Do I pull the plugs and see if any of them are wet? Do I then try to turn the engine by the crankshaft bolt. I don't think it's the IMS, but not sure what else it could be besides a cracked head. Any ideas?

Thank you!
spdrcr21 is offline   Reply With Quote