View Single Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I don't know where you got your information, but that is not correct. Anytime you have a new set of Tires, let alone wheels, you need to have them dynamically balanced. If you don't, shimmys and vibrations are sure to pop up.

Don't trust a Wheel/Tire seller to do it right. They usually don't and if they do it's usually just dumb luck. Because rarely do they have the proper machine to do the job - a Hunter 97XX machine.

This will make sure the wheels/tires are as close to round as possible and get the balance right. Also, non-authorized retailers often get poorer quality tires than authorized centers. These are often found to be beyond the out-of-round spec for the tire and if you don't check it now, you'll have no recourse with the retailer later.

You can try to get by and maybe not even notice slight vibrations, although on the Boxster, I suspect the differences won't be that subtle. But several thousand miles later, you're likely to see uneven wear to the tires and any small vibrations when new are bound to be amplified. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I completely agree about the balancing and everything you just said, but isn't the question about alignment??? Provided the dimensions of the wheel/tire combined with the offset match within reason of the OEM specs there should be no reason for an alignment in going from 17" to 18" wheel/tire combos.

Absolutely YES, you need dynamic balancing anytime you mount tires!!!
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote