View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #3
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossimo View Post
Hello all,
I’m new to the forum. Initially looking for information to determine which early model Boxster I should consider. My biggest factor is price, but know that low price may mean I need to layout for common maintenance items or potentially neglect. That’s okay within reason as I am handy and actually want something with a little work needed to keep initial cost down. Car with a story or history doesn’t scare me. This will be a weekend car primarily. Manual preferred as I want to enjoy it without worrying about using it as a daily driver in rush hour. Keeping my eye out, not in a rush, waiting for the right deal/car. Max budget would be 6-7k. But those would need to be perfect and need nothing major. Let me know if you see something, in the mean time, I will thank you all in advance for the knowledge I will be soaking up while I wait to officially join the Porsche family.

Regards
M
Welcome, Mossimo. Glad you're here.

Finding a manual in the $6k-$7k range that doesn't need a ton of deferred maintenance means you're looking for a unicorn of an early car, 2.5 or 2.7. NOT AN S. Shame that. But I understand budgets. (Hell, I understand 'em so well because I destroy budgets every day!)

In my own opinion, you'll need to be pretty handy with DIY to find the car you've described, under $7k. A $6k 986 will likely need some things to make it right.

Although, i HAVE seen a few, here and there. I pissed off a woman here in SLC on FB Marketplace one day, because I told her that the car she was selling for $8k "FIRM", was so nice that it would likely fetch closer to $11k in a more convertible-friendly market, all she needed to do was list it broader. yeah... she thought I was trying to "scam her", and started dropping F-Bombs at me, hahaha.

So yes, they're out there. But not common. You might want to watch the colder states..... look for something someone doesn't want to store for another winter.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote