View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
What type of bushing is it that they use?

I am genuinely curious about the EPS suspension bits because I was looking to refresh my suspension system and did reach out to a handful of 996 guys on Rennlist, and most seemed happy with their decision. Another option I was looking at was Elephant Racing, and then the thread where one owner tracked their 996 (or was it 997?) where the control arm or something broke, but it seemed to be a one-off more than the norm than anything else. I chose not to go with Elephant Racing and EPS simply because they weren't readily available to us in Canada, and time was of the essence for me (car was already on the shop hoist, so time was a-ticking.)

Understand that I try to keep an open mind about what products to buy for my car, and try to make an informed decision on my purchases, and that the community has a reference point on how to make their decisions. I am in no way trying to support or villainize any vendors our there.
I personally would not go with EPS trailing arm links. Originals were designed with ball bushings, which can sit vertically and allow up and down movement. actually, they allow movement in all directions. EPS puts in a bushing style that's designed for lower control arms, where the movement is along their longitudinal axis. I.e. the bushing lays horizontally and the movement is up and down. The way EPS uses them, the bushings lay vertically while the movement is up and down. The bushings don't move that way, so it causes excessive force on the trailing arm and maybe the mounting point. EPS actually shows a video touting their 'solution', but if you look carefully, the trailing arm is actually flexing and the jaws of the vise are moving side to side, while there's little movement in the bushing itself. It's evident that those bushings cannot allow for that kind of movement and the parts are over-stressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoQ7LR6AuaQ

This could be why rennlist has posts of them breaking.

Last edited by piper6909; 10-19-2019 at 06:37 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote