View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #153
imhighlander

I’ll pile on and revive the thread a little.

Like lots of guys my age, I grew up with an infatuation with air cooled 911s. I have always lusted after - and admittedly, still lust after - the ‘78-83 911SC. I’ve always loved the lines, the sound, the smell... but never could afford one. My own little kids came along and I put my Porsche love in the bin of forgotten dreams. I still had great cars; my favorites were a couple of BMW 540i sedans. A ‘94 E34 first stole my heart, and then a 2001 E39 540i/6. That’s one of the few cars I still miss sometimes.

Kids grew and the nest emptied. I had a heavily modified Volvo C30/6 that was fun to drive, but my wife despised it. She always complained about the turbo blowoff noise and the obnoxious tuned exhaust note. But the torque and turbo kick from that car was a riot!

Then, late last year she and I went on a foliage drive in the Rockies where we live. We had recently returned from a road trip in a rented BMW convertible and we mused about “how fun it would be to see the leaves with the top down...”

After the drive as we pulled into Frisco, Colorado, I saw a crimson red 986 base and commented to my wife about how affordable those cars are. She asked, “How affordable do you mean?” I made a comment to the effect of, “Well, they’re probably about as cheap as my Volvo.” And that, effectively, was that.

As I do, I started heavily researching all I could about the 986. Strengths, weaknesses, trim options, the Achilles heels (IMS/RMS)... I decided I wanted a 2003-4 986S to get the power and options of the S model with the glass rear window.

I found some forums to do research and came across the one. A 2004 Seal Gray over black S with the manual transmission, as god intended.

The only modification has been addition of a lightweight underdrive pulley and upgrading the US spec springs to the Porsche M030 ROW setup. I have replaced all suspension parts as a matter of maintenance and absolutely love this little car.

46 years was a long time to wait for my first P-car, but it has been worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote