View Single Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:29 AM   #11
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

That's just it, it's the loads which make the difference, not the revs. 5k RPM on level ground places much less stress on the engine than 5k RPM on an incline.

The car going 5k RPM on level ground will also experience a lot better MPG, because it's doing less WORK than the one going up the incline at 5k RPM.

Now, all this assumes that the gearing is the same for each. Because it usually isn't, any less rolling resistance/friction/mechanical inefficiency experienced by the car at highway speeds than the one operating at 35MPH in a shorter gear, will be offset by the increased drag which rises by the square of the speed the car is traveling.

The reasons a Highway driven car is preferable to a street driven one is that: a.) It has less time/stress on it per mile than the street driven one. b.) It has spent more of it's life with the Coolant Pump, Oil Pump, (both Crank Speed dependent) operating at their most efficient speeds. Also, Radiator Airflow, Alternator output are also in their sweet spots. And, these conditions remain constant throughout the drive, or at least much more so than for a street driven car...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I think that's what I said in my original post.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-10-2006 at 05:47 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote