View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #16
Zzorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIENNAGAMBIT View Post
My question is, what am I getting myself into if I agree to take it on? Are they expensive to maintain? Is the model/year an easy one to tinker with? I'm not a car guy per se, but have always wanted to get into it and am more than average mechanically inclined (I've done a lot of our plumbing and electrical).
Congrats. And do it. My comments are to address your specific question.

Focke and Nova provide excellent advise. So do all folks who have posted on here.

My experience with a 98 Boxster (that I'm slowly bringing back to life) has been very positive. Mine needed lots of work and pretty much every mechanical issue I've experienced has required a few hundred in parts, a few hours of research (here and elsewhere) and a couple hours of actual work to fix.

So far the biggest PIA was the coolant tank replacement. The rest have been easy. I'll be tackling my suspension next.

I'm also mechanically inclined and have no issues with getting my hands dirty. So this has and continues to be a rewarding experience.

My only misgiving is that I don't have enough time to drive it becasue like you, I have a large family to take care of! But I still fine a few hours to peck away at it.

The surprise so far is that I thought I was getting a practice car before I upgraded to a 911 (my 10yo self dream car), but honestly, I might just be fine with my Boxster for way way less than 1/2 the price!

These are fun cars!

Enjoy and keep us posted on what you do.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote