View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #1
Fchotika

Ran into problems replacing camshafts after pad replacement

Hi folks,

I have the engine out in my 2001 3.2S. Have replaced the cam pads on both sides. I started with bank 1 at TDC and removed the cam assembly, replaced pads and retime with a new chain and ensure the links lined up to the marks. Replaced the valve cover and checked rotation. Rotated the engine 720 degrees and looked fine. Next I moved on to bank 2 and removed the cam assembly. Realizing I didnt rotate the engine another 360, I went back to set bank 1, with bank 2 already out. Checked the alignment and all looked good. And held the cams down. Now when I try to rotate 720 degrees clockwise, at about 540, I feel resistance and no longer can turn the crank, spark plugs are all out. Bank 2 is out som must be something with my timing in bank 1. Am I hitting the valve and piston from the resistance I feel? Cyl 1 looks like the exhaust valve is open, cyl3 has the intake valve open. Cyl 2 is neutral.

What do I do now? Should I release the exhaust sprocket bolts, with he cam held down, allow the cam assembly to rotate back to a neutral position( no valves opened), set the engine back to TDC and retime bank 1 cams again?

Any advice appreciated. Better finding out if I did something wrong now with engine Out vs in the car and having a blow up on start.
Fchotika is offline   Reply With Quote