View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
VIENNAGAMBIT

Being gifted a 2001 Boxster S - Advice?

Evening all! Not sure if this is the correct place to post, so let me know but...

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to be gifted a 2001 Boxster S with no strings attached from a family member who just doesn't use it. It has less than 18K miles - not a typo - and brand new tires...

Mechanically it's 100%, but had some water damage a few years back (water got in through top) and had fuse panel I believe replaced, but all electronics seem to be 100% now. Seats are a little hard to adjust forward and back from what I'm guessing is some corrosion from water that got in, but garage gave it clean bill of health. One of the lcds for the temp is going, but still readable. Squirrels made a nest inside somewhere, but that has been removed and wires checked for damage (I think). It does have an "earthy" smell from the air ducts when blowing haha. Other than that, and a few scratches here and there, it's in great shape and just needs a very good clean/detail. It's that steel gray color (very dark), red calipers, and also has the hard top. It's gorgeous and 18,000 miles!

My question is, what am I getting myself into if I agree to take it on? Are they expensive to maintain? Is the model/year an easy one to tinker with? I'm not a car guy per se, but have always wanted to get into it and am more than average mechanically inclined (I've done a lot of our plumbing and electrical). I'd love to upgrade to spoked rims, upgrade the lamps to LED and maybe give the stereo a face-lift.

It won't be driven much. I work from home and have 3 small kids (probably 4 years away from the oldest being able to be in front seat) and can't imagine driving it more than 100 miles a month. Probably just a date night car

My other question, is there anything I need to look for regarding wear and tear? Or should a dealer just give it a full inspection?

I will have to drive the car down the east coast if I take it (already dreaming about that road trip ) . Probably more miles in 2 days then it's done in a year. That shouldn't be an issue running it that long?

I've driven this car when visiting over the years and love it, but I really don't know what owning one would be getting myself into.

Should I just dive in head first?

Any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!
VIENNAGAMBIT is offline   Reply With Quote