View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #21
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Well said, Maytag.

No one is prevented from acessing healthcare... no one says absent health insurance, (which is what this REALLY is about: insurance) you can't make an appointment with whichever doctor you want to choose. I have no insurance and in the 2-3 times I've been to a doctor in the last 2 decades I made my own appointment... told them I'm a cash patient... shopped around... checked Yelp... went for the visit... and that was that. Never gave them a SSN, only my pertinent directory information.

Now... if I were to be diagnosed with a life threatening disorder... I'd be **************** outta luck and would have to apply for a ridiculously priced bare-bones policy with an extraordinary co/pay and annual deductible.

I did the math. I spent in 20 years ~$500 on healthcare. An Obamacare-type policy would see me on the hook for the first year, including permiums... copays... and deductible... better than $25K. Then the "real" benefits would kick in. For that kind of money I better have a life threatening illness. That's 4 Boxsters.

The real problem with healthcare today is that you can't get a hospital to nail down a price for a procedure (colonoscopy, elective surgery, even an ER visit) so you can shop around. There's virtually zero opportunity to comparison shop.