View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
TGPCAR
NEWB

The Run Down to get her Run Up

Alright guys here she is!

2001 Boxster S Manual, 80,000k/odo. PP: $5000 (Salvage title)

Here is the list of items that appeared in an inspection last year, and I knew of these issues before I purchased:

1 bent front tie rod, the other front tie rod has play.
Alignment (obvious with the tie rod issue)
Brake Flush
Inoperable washer system
Degrading foam in the AC.

Here is the list after taking it to get the tie rods fixed, and alignment, and sadly had to have the shop change the oil because the previous owner stripped the oil drain plug:

Rear brake pads and discs need replacing.
Tires are at the end of their life from the uneven wear.
And they are recommending a full suspension job.

So here are the questions:

Would you replace the full suspension if the Indy said all the rubber components need to be replaced, but if they're there they may as well do it all? I am using their inspection to facilitate my own work, so the labor is a non issue(a fact i did not share with the shop). I also am trying to stagger these projects out.

Also, after picking it up from the shop after they did the tie rods I drove 4 miles to my home and the coolant started errupting from the cap. The tank is not cracked, no leak in the trunk floor or any of the other tricks ive learned on here, it definitely came from the cap. (pic below) When i called the shop he said they did top off my coolant and to send him some pictures. When i called back he walked it back and said they actually didn't top it off because they shined a light into the tank and it was full. I am sure it was the cap, and maybe it wasn't any fault of theirs, but that shift on their response made me question their integrity. I got a new cap and haven't had any issues yet with driving 60 miles.

It has the original AOS, WP, Temp sensor, etc. The things that have been updated are the IMS conversion, clutch, and RMS all done last year. The exhaust is leaking in a few places with an aftermarket Beluga exhaust, which i cant seem to identify aside from the brand. I smell occasional exhaust and also sometimes the smell of burning rubber or maybe clutch...which i think is because I shift it like i did my 1980 datsun and am trying to retrain myself. This is also my first convertible so I'm not sure what ambient smells are confusing my sniffer.

Sorry the pics are not all right side up, i don't know how to fix them!
TGPCAR is offline   Reply With Quote