View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
bamaboxster

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
XM Satellite Radio Installation

I had satellite radio in the g35 and have it on my Goldwing.

After some research, I was able to find a XM unit that will work on the Boxster.

I chose the XM Commander which has a small face plate and its styling goes with the black interior.

This unit uses an FM Modulator that is connected inline directly to the antenna. I had to purchase 2 antenna lead extensions (in and out). had to find the 2000 and up style connectors to use with the new Porsche/Audi radios. Bought radio keys to remove the radio to access the antenna connection.

I removed the upper bin, and mounted the tuner box with industrial strengh velcro and enclosed it with a custom cut face plate with the XM controller mounted to it.

Used a flexible wire chase and ran it from the center console to the fuse box. This also enclosed the antenna wire (XM) from the lower left IP to the center console.

I mounted the small XM antenna with velcro to the top of the IP next to the infared sensor. I ran the wire at the base of the windshield against the base of the left a pillar, under the seal on the left side of the IP and down to the chase at the top of the fuse box.

Set the FM station to pick up the XM signal and viola, satellite radio.
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote