View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 04:33 AM   #37
Robert986

Garage
Thanks boys, maybe I´m starting to understand.. So, my car is the 2003s ROW as I understand it it should as standard be sporting a 986.606.125.01 MAF-sensor attached to the narrower housing. The 987.606.125.00 would then be the larger housing complete with a 986.606.125.01 sensor inside.. Did I get that correct?

So do I want the larger or the narrower MAF housing..
I believe that I should strive for a air-path with a smooth but slightly decreasing diameter all the way from the airbox to the plenum. Thus I take it that the larger MAF is the way to go, just ensure that the piping gives a good decrease in diameter downstream, and since I will be using a custom tune I guess the cost won´t be too overwhelming just for the MAF-tune part.

Please enlighten me if I still got it wrong!!!

Some more thoughts.. I am starting to believe that the theoretical dimensioning to strive for should be:
1) Go from wide to narrower in the airbox, MAF, Throttle body, to accelerate air and give good cylinder fill at lower rpm (as stated by TRK). By keeping the whole chain larger than oem, it will still give more flow at WOT, thus more power.
2) Here comes the strange part.. I believe I have read somewhere that the plenum, or (maybe the chamber between the plenum and the intake runners) should be basically as large as possible, to act as a "air-reservoar" with enough air to provide the runners with enough air. (Have I got this 100% wrong???)
3) Then the runners.. I guess the runners must me "wide enough" but not least quite long.. The length to achieve some momentum in the air (more air mass accumulated) to provide cylinder fill at lower rpm:s, thus the 996 intake / runners are preferred.

All in all I´m sure I got at least some part of the above bullets 1-3 wrong. Let´s discuss! :dance:
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote