View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #20
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Why grease leaking onto my wheel?
100percent: Forget the price, the shop, how many times it was replaced, who is at fault, and your personal feelings. That looks like a defective axle and not one built to Porsche OEM standard. Take your car to a dealership. Have it replaced correctly and it will not leak grease.

For future readers: This grease looks like it is leaking from the crimp seal rather than the boot. If it is like that new, it was either made from improper materials or poorly crimped. You can buy a new axle for about 1/10th the price of a Porsche axle, but it will likely have problems exactly like the one displayed by the OP.
A 'good' axle will wear out at the rubber boot. The boot will eventually crack and leak grease. Like TRK said, replace the boot in a timely manner and the axle will be fine. The other 'normal' place for grease to leak is from the clamps after the boot has been replaced. -From too much grease, clamps placed improperly, or the wrong grease being used.

...that's enough Forum time for today, I have cars to work on.