View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #19
The Radium King

geez. it's been weeks since i've been called a conspiracy theorist. how depressing. well, you're obviously smarter than the rest of us, so i'll add my comments for the rest of the unwashed masses as you already know the answer you want to hear and appear to want to yell down anyone who tells you otherwise.

i've never seen a porsche axle rust like that so quickly. a search of this forum shows multiple threads on axles going bad, especially on the s due to the longer transmission and bigger offset between transmission flange and wheel carrier. when faced with the failure, most folks (not the smart ones though, apparently) avoid the $900 per axle cost when there are less expensive fixes available.

first, repair the existing axle. typically the axle doesn't go bad, just one of the cv boots tear and if left open long enough (by fools who don't perform proper maintenance on their car) grit can get in and degrade the cv (constant velocity joint, but of course you know that). there are two, and one is more repairable than the other.

if your current axle isn't repairable (and typically a torn boot is just a regrease and replace the boot situation, not an $1800 replacement situation) then buy a used axle off ebay or whereever and rebuild it. again, much cheaper than $900 per side.

finally, there are the 'jobber' axles. $100 per side, but pure garbage. pure garbage. they rust right away, they leak grease, they don't have the same articulation as the oem units. made of unamerican chinese steel.

so, perhaps your indy did buy two $900 axles, and is warrantying them every time you come back, and they are rusting immediately upon installation. or perhaps your indy bought some cheap jobber axles, or used axles, and is trying to repair them every time you bring them back. note that the cv that is leaking in your case is sealed; the only place grease should/could be coming from is the vent, however it is on the other side of the wheel carrier at the end of the axle and you would see grease behind the centre cap. looking at the pics, it looks like the dust cap is coming off the cv (it's at a bit of an angle). how unfortunate that porsche sent your honest indy THREE axles with bad dust caps.

but you knew all that, right?

Last edited by The Radium King; 08-22-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: fixed a pre-coffee typo.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote