View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 04:10 AM   #5194
philipjayadler

Garage
Send a message via AIM to philipjayadler Send a message via Yahoo to philipjayadler Send a message via Skype™ to philipjayadler
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhighlander View Post
The very idea of this project makes me twitchy. My roof is starting to show its age and when the time comes to replace it, I’m daunted by the DIY project. I’ve done a ton of suspension work and a bit of engine work, but it seems like getting the top to stretch properly and look nice and taught is a huge chore.

How long did your install take, and did you run into any surprises, challenges, etc.?

Looks like a job very well done, so kudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's see...The process of getting it all together, was way longer than the install.

My problem was I had, as the photos show, do the work in the driveway which meant I was dependent on the weather. But way before the actually install I researched and read anything I could get my hands on as how other people did it, tool, materials and adhesives, tricks, photos and illustrations, Boxster service manuals, Pelican 101 Projects, etc. Instructions only go so far you have to be in the mindset-doing the work to figure it all out.If you read that someone did it over a weekend don't believe it! I would have to say that it took me a full week. If your in a garage, it will obviously take you less.

Some of my issues were parts orientation, especially with the plastic "scissors".
Photo's didn't quite show how they needed to be placed or fit together. Also, have new sets on hand for both sides with extra pins. Some parts may need to be replaced, you won't know till you take the roof off. [Thank g-d for Pelican overnight!].

You will be dealing with small parts, in tight fit, in awkward places. Plan to make sure you cover all holes and areas where you could easily lose small parts! I put a sheet of thick white paper under where I was working so if I dropped something [which I did repeatedly] I could retrieve it easily. Get one of those extendable magnetic retrieval tools. Thin fingers helps. Plenty of light!

Stretching the material wasn't really a problem. If you plan how your going to work the installation it will come out clean and tight. From reading and my own experience it seems that each install has differences. What was necessary for someone to do may not be for you. I try to do as much work on my 99 Boxster as I can, as far as maintenance and parts replacement. Some things like frame and suspension, a well as major engine stuff are beyond me.

Nervousness, Anxiety, Trepidation YOU BET! But if you stick with it [and have grit] it will get done. And, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing, and showing, a beautiful new roof.

And having the extra $$$ in your pocket is certainly an incentive!
[Upgrade the stereo?] Good Luck!
philipjayadler is offline   Reply With Quote