View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Liamray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
So... I get that rattle at startup and, based upon my reading, believe it to be those tensioners. Yesterday when I went for a spin it was louder than normal. However, I hadn't driven it in about 6 days.

So... I have some questions, and hope someone can enlighten me.

I thought about taking it to the local indy shop and have them connect a Durametric or the PS## tool thinking maybe it would reveal if there are any tolerances that are out of whack... or whatever information that might reveal in what condition are the tensioners, individually, and if they need replacement. Then I started thinking...

Couldn't the local indy hook up the car and prepare a complete and comprehensive report about all the major/primary components that would reveal what's good... what's bad... and what's on its way out?

How much $$ would be reasonable for an indy to run that software and prepare a report?

While they're "in there" is there anything in particular I should have them look at/test?

In advance, thanks for the help.

Cheers!
My 2001 2.7 Boxster with 147,000km on the clock use to rattle on start up, and yes it was worse if I left the car for more than a day or two between drives. I decided to pull my engine out to check my IMSB and other things that needed attention. But when I pulled the ‘Cam Chain’ tensioners out, 2 of the 3 weren’t working (wouldn’t hold pressure), I also replaced my ‘Variocam Tensioners’ while the engine was out, and though they had some wear I don’t think they were the reason for the ‘Rattle on Start Up’. After replacing the 3 ‘Cam Chain Tensioners’ my car now starts without even the slightest hint of a rattle, last week an O2 sensor failed and I decided to replace both O2 sensors, while I waited for the sensors to arrive (2 weeks as I’m in Australia), the car was left on stands and not started. After fitting the new sensors I started the car and I expected a bit of rattle as it had been sitting for 2 weeks, but again no rattle!
So if the rattle is the only thing worrying you, I’d get the 3 ‘Cam Tensioners’ replaced, they’re not that hard to replace and they aren’t expensive for you guys in the US, I’d start with these as they’re the easiest to get to.
Liamray is offline   Reply With Quote