View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
The Radium King

what to do, with a 3.2?

so, this place has been a bit of a yawnfest recently, so time for a theoretical exercise ...

in the process of modifying, upgrading and putting a bigger engine into my car, i've accumulated enough parts to build a boxster race car. while this had been the plan, the local closed wheel racing has taken a nosedive recently and the car counts are just not there anymore (we are running nasa classing and there are like 2 st2, 3 st3, 4 st4 cars ...). so, not really enough competition to justify a build (a lot more cars in open wheel and vintage, and i am currently running a vintage triumph).

which leaves me with a really nice 3.2 motor and 5-speed transmission. while i could keep the 3.2 as a spare, the mind does get to thinking ... what could i put it in that isn't another boxster (i already have one of those...)? the 5-speed can handle the hp from the 3.2, is shorter than the 6-speed for a smaller overall package, and has good track gearing. the 3.2 has been built without ac, power steering, emissions, etc.

it is hard to find a place to put a flat 6, as they are rather low and wide compared to the other inline and V engine out there. so, two options:

diasio. find a diasio (or a saker?) with a tired engine and do the swap. engine should fit as they can take 4 and 6-cyl subi motors, it's a 962 copy so the pedigree is there, and could run with the open wheels as a sport racer, or w the GT cars in SU.

air-cooled 911. yeah, i know. whatever. first, need an old 911 without an engine. it's confirmed that the engine will fit (see pic). then need to find out if i can get the transmission to spin the other way. otherwise, put a cable 996 throttle body on it, run a stand-alone ecu, get an rpm signal to the dash, and fabricate a transmission mount and some axles. would need to sort the clutch master/slave. the water-cooling bit has been sorted by the 911 v8 swap guys so no issue there. fuel should not be an issue either. perhaps some stiffening of the suspension for the extra weight.

thoughts? other ideas?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote