View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
maytag
Who's askin'?

since we seem to have wandered-off into the esoteric realm of how we're all feeling, .....

I have this theory about humanity; we are all somewhere on a continuum of "baggage", or "emotional health", or whatever you may want to call it. I bristle when we assign labels, like "he has a mental illness" or whatever. As if there's a line, like on a Tachometer, where the needle is either "mentally ill" or "mentally healthy". I don't think that's helpful to anyone. The truth is that we are all products of our life's experiences, mixed with our own chemical balance / imbalance, combined with some personality traits we brought into this world, from wherever we came from before this.

What am I getting at? I find the world to be much less aggravating to me if I can try to imagine what has combined to create a specific behavior in an individual. I assume they are a good person, who, just like me, really just wants to be heard, be relevant, be cared-about. But something (or a combination of things) has nurtured in this person a type of world-view that may sit just a bit off-kilter. AND, just perhaps, the reason it bugs me more than some others might also be an indication of the baggage that I'm carrying around myself.

What does this look like applied to the real world?
I'm what many new-agers call an "empath"; meaning I intuit feelings, emotions, from those I come into contact with. I'll tell you what, that's a GREAT skill to have as a salesman. But it is born of the need I had as a child to anticipate the behaviors and moods of my abusive parents.

So this guy who was such a debbie-downer to ya that day: what do you suppose may have created his need to be right about something so inane? I dunno, I wasn't there.... but frequently that comes from having had to always prove himself in life, in order to feel valuable.

:ah:

Ok...

therapist hat back off now.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote