Thread: Warning lights
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Last night I got 2 warning lights on the instrument cluster, engine oil pressure, and battery charging system. Checked the oil amount on the cluster and pulled the dipstick, both were fine. This morning no warning lights came on. I had the car scanned and everything was fine. Weird. What would cause this electrical glitch? I’m stumped.
First this is just a guess on my part But since you got a oil pressure warning light and a charging system light at the same time you could have some bare (battery positive???) wires going to the oil pressure sensor that could have shorted briefly to ground. That could have completed the circuit and the warning light came on. Since it was (could have been) a short it drew excess amps and triggered the charging system warning light. Like I say a guess on my part but it is where I would look first.

Most (not all) things associated with the OBDII system have to have an issue for two consecutive drive cycles to trigger the CEL. OBDII will log a pending code at the first issue but it will not trigger the CEL. If the issue doesn't happen on the second drive cycle it erases the pending code. So when you have a car scanned always have them check for pending codes as well.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote