View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #15
Liamray

I have owned a 2001 2.7 Tiptronic Boxster for 3yrs now, and I had a major service carried out on it, the mechanic found ‘material’ in the filter, a lot of material. The mechanic thought it was the IMSB, and the material looked like alloy chips, but being a retired Aircraft Maintenance Engineer I did my own investigation. To cut a long story short, I removed the IMSB and it was a factory fitted dual row bearing, and it was in ‘as new’ condition, even the plastic seals looked new. Turns out the problem with my engine was not the IMSB, but another little discussed problem that affects the Boxster engine, my ‘Cam Chain Tensioners & Variocam Tensioners’ were shot. This in turn means that the cam timing is erratic at best, and dangerous at worst, when the Cam Chain Tensioners go it leaves the chains to basically ‘flap’ about untensioned, this in turn can put stress on the IMSB. Porsche should have made the Tensioners a regular service item, but they didn’t, my car with 147,000km on the clock, had three out of the five Tensioners fail. If you’ve heard of the ‘NORMAL’ chain rattle at start up or when the engine is cold, this is a lie! If the Tensioners are operational then there is no rattle. So the IMSB is not the only thing responsible for engine failures.
Liamray is offline   Reply With Quote