View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #17
Liamray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Thanks, Liam!

I got to "... cam locks and timing tools..." and knew the repair was going to be out of my league. If I had a garage... I might jump into it. However, a carport with a car on either side has it's limitations. That... and a carport cubby that's 5x3x8 (I miss my former 3-car garage).

I don't get the errant idle... just a purr.

Final question: At what point do you say: Time to replace those tensioners?

Thnak you for the great explanation.

Cheers!
At your next oil change (if you do them yourself) I’d pull the 3 Cam Chain tensioners out and check them, it’s pretty easy to tell if they need replacing when you get them out. Firstly pump the tensioner to get the old oil out, then put the tensioner in a small container with fresh oil in it, make sure that the oil covers 2/3 of the tensioner and pump the plunger on the tensioner till it goes hard and you can’t depress it, then pull the tensioner out of the oil and put pressure on the tensioner, it should stay firm and not depress, if it slowly depresses then the tensioner should be replaced. They aren’t expensive and now that I’ve experienced the results of replacing them I’d replace them as part of scheduled maintenance, or whenever I heard the rattle on a regular basis.

There are a few good vids and instructions online regarding replacing the tensioners, just make sure that you get the correct tensioners, once they’re out you can compare the ones that have to the ones that you’re buying.

The ‘variocam’ tensioners and pads are a different story, and if you don’t have a workshop or garage then I’d get a quote from a Porsche mechanic to replace these. But if you’re not getting a rough idle at anytime them they’re probably fine (my car would idle rough after driving for half an hour or so and then pulling up, when I’d stop I’d notice that my car was shuddering slightly and I’d notice that the idle was rough, but this was an intermittent thing).

Hope this helps.
Liamray is offline   Reply With Quote