View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
tonythetiger
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Hi All,

I’m looking at a 2003 S with 164k miles from mom and pop dealership. The car looks to be in great shape for its age and mileage. It was rear ended 7 years ago but was not totaled and the repair was excellent. I couldn’t tell it was in a fender bender until the dealer showed me the car fax. I plan to test drive it next weekend if still available.

What are your thoughts about the mileage? I do not think the IMSB has been replaced. The dealer wants $7100 for it. What do you think?
I share this as nobody wants a new member to get disgusted with the hobby just as they are getting started. These cars are great fun, semi-affordable and frustrating all at the same time.
7100...IMHO, that's a no. This is the high end of what the car is worth IF everything was maintained, documented and its perfect.
NOTE: Options make a major difference in the cars value also. Memory seats, M030 suspension, PSM, litronics, 18" wheels, leather dash, 3 spoke steering wheel, the stereo and speakers.

If it was very well maintained, there would be records. If it hasn't already been done, It needs all new suspension, motor and transmission mounts, water pump, (should be on its 3rd water pump), AOS and a myriad of other maintenance items, like a starter, window regulators, wheel bearings, tie rods, PS Pump, spark plugs, coils, tubes, O-rings on the oil cooler and coolant hoses. Also, The cam adjusters pads are likely are wasted and that is a serious undertaking. too much to list.
Brakes should be new, tires, like new. Top, like new. Interior perfect. Plus its been wrecked according to carfax. No bargain in cheaper Porsche.
I suggest you watch for an S out there with the records and the ownership history to make the deal worth it. Under 100K cars are out there for close to this price.
How it ended up at a mom and pop is likely auction, and I wouldn't be surprised if they walked away with that car for peanuts.
Not trying to be a negative Nelly, but I wouldn't buy this car at any cost, I would wait for the right one.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote