View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupesy View Post
Does anyone know the difference between cam deviation and cam angle? I understand the general principle, but I have some more specific questions. From my Durametric tests, the deviation basically stays the same regardless of rpm. Cam angle changes under load/rpm or mixture of both. So cam angle goes from around the zero mark at idle to +25 or something close to that at higher rpm indicating an advance. However, when I do that, the deviation doesn't change. So now with a faulty actuator/solenoid on the driver side, my cam deviation is +22 at idle. But the cam angles still stay around the zero mark so clearly they are looking at two different things. What I do understand that cam deviation can be a good indicator that your guides are going south by getting increasingly larger negative numbers (going from -2 to something like -8).

If you take a look at the diagram you will see that the actuators in the engine off positions. Does anyone know if this is that actual positions at idle? Does it shift at startup under hydraulic pressure and then the solenoid pushes it back under advance? I'm just trying to figure out how it can fail or get stuck in advance if my solenoid does not work either.

Sorry for my ramblings. If anyone can contribute, let me know. I have tried to find all these answers doing many searches but can;t get to the end of what I am trying to answer.

Camshaft deviation: Amount in degrees the centerline of the intake lobe is from ideal. so should remain steady. or nearly so.
Cam angle: Or lobe separation angle: Amount in degrees of separation between centerlines of intake and exhaust lobes.
I am not positive of this but I think I read that around 1500 RPM, the actuators push out on the chains changing the valve timing. Around 6000?? RPM they kick back out and the actuators go back to the retracted position.

Last edited by blue62; 07-19-2019 at 10:32 PM.
blue62 is online now   Reply With Quote