View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 AM   #1
gwegryn

Rebounding 986 2.5L for beginner track car?

Hi All,

I need a sanity check here. I have an opportunity to buy back my first Porsche - a '97 986 2.5L that I sold to a friend (a non-car guy) 9 years ago. It's in ok condition now and will need a complete go-over to ensure it's roadworthy. That part I am fine with doing, and as long as I want to just keep it as a nice driver/date car, I would take it back gladly (he wants $2,000 for it -- far less than what I sold it to him for!).

But, I'd like to set it up as a beginner track car for my girlfriend who wants to learn to drive on a track and will get her first taste of a car at speed this weekend at Mid-Ohio. I'm assuming she will come away with "the bug" and want to do it a lot more.

I track a highly modded E36 M3, which is a beast and would like her to have something a bit easier to learn on, so I'm intrigued by getting back my first P-car, making it road-worthy, but also giving her something safe to learn on.

So, I know the '97 2.5L wouldn't be the first choice for a track car, but I'm thinking for what it will cost me to buy it back, get it street roadworthy (all the usual items - all fluids, wear items, etc.), it may be worth it. What other items should I be thinking of to make it a safe, reliable DE track car for a beginner? (Please advise if you think I should run away from this and get something else).

Some things I'm thinking about:
- Seat belts are 20+ years old, so will look into replacing with stock 3-point (it will be a driver, so no need to go 5/6-point at this time).
- IMS shouldn't be an issue on this one - it's the double row bearing, which is the 1% failure group, but I'm open for opinions.
- Brakes - stock calipers or upgrade? Pads?
- Car has a hardtop, so no cage needed at this time
- 17" wheels with street tires (probably the same ones I sold the car with!) - any suggestions on a good street/track tire for the 986?
- I don't plan on any extensive suspension changes initially, but any obvious improvements to be thinking about?
- Serpentine belt - it's probably the original, so it will be changed
- I'll check the coolant tank for wear, cracks and replace if needed.
- I replaced the oil/water separator just before I sold it, so I think I'm ok on that.

Anything else? I greatly appreciate the experience that exists on this forum, so all thoughtful suggestions will be considered!

Thanks!
gwegryn is offline   Reply With Quote