View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupesy View Post
A few weeks ago, I was leaving work and came to the first stop light and the car started to have a rough idle and lower than normal rpms, but accelerated just fine. Decided just to get home (stalled a few times). Ran the durametric on the car and found a P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306 and one other I cant remember but had to do with the variocam. I also checked cam deviation and bank 2 was running somewhere around +22, other side about a -8. After much research, I decided it was time to pull the cam cover and see what was going on. I did all this engine in car. What I found was a variocam chain guide on the top completely gone. The bottom one severely worn. The timing chain and marks all seemed in order so no jumped teeth. I figured the missing guide was the problem so I proceeded to put on new guides, reset the timing and put all back together. I did that and ended up with the same rough idle at start up. I went back in with durametric and now the cam deviation is +19. I used the durametric to cycle the solenoid on bank one and it definitely made the engine rpm change. I tried it on the bank 2 but didn;t seem to alter the engine. I'm about to tear it all back down again as I am thinking it is either the solenoid or actuator (or both) that is also the problem in addition to the failed guide. Is there anything else I should check before I tear it down? Can a cam sensor also cause this issue?
I think your on the right track. you know cam timing is ok because you checked timing marks and chains. When you cycled the solenoid on bank 2 and got no noticeable change in RPM that is a strong indicator of a problem. If it was me I would be doing exactly what your thinking.

A bad cam sensor could cause your rough idle at startup but I do not think it has a bearing on the lack of bank 2 to change RPM when you test it with the Durametric.

You could check the cam sensor signal (voltage) on bank 2 with the durametric and compare it to the signal one bank 1 to see if it is close to the same.
BUT bank 2's big cam deviation may affect that voltage signal so not a fool proof test.
I would do that after fixing bank 2's solenoid actuator issue.

Last edited by blue62; 07-15-2019 at 07:39 AM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote