View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Qingdao

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Welcome to the forum. For answers to your questions, check out these threads:
https://986forum.com/forums/show-tell-gallery/54328-boxsterls376-introduction-ls3-conversion.html
V8 Conversion

I'm pretty sure they have enough detail somewhere in there and you may be able to contact both of the authors.
JJ has been back on the forum recently.
I think Vlad moved on to a 996 and some other stuff before finishing up his swap, but I think he still posts here from time to time.
hehe. 4.3 is a V6 like a 3/4 SBC.

Simple swap as snot. The V8's (either small block or LS) on the other hand require cutting fire walls and sacrificing rigidity. or tubing a section of the chassis, which I might have enough skill to do, but not time, drive, or patience.

With a nice .500 cam, 5-10 pounds of boost, and a smooth exhaust I should hit about 400 or more pounds foot of torque. Yeah, an LS engine can do that bare cam, but would you trust a base model 986 transmission with much more than 400 pound feet of torque?

I'm just concerned about how to keep the original gauge clusters in operational order with the V6 in place.

I'm thinking that the OE tac runs off some kind of crank angle sensor. I guess I could mock that up on the 4.3 somewhere. After all RPM is RPM regardless of engine layout.

But a 4.3 will NEVER hit 8k like the boxer does. LOL I guess that'll just be the unused portion of the tac.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote