View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
The Radium King

here's the important info from the pelican engine swap article:

- These cars ran the Bosch Motronic 5.2.2 system, which uses a cable-driven throttle body, similar to nearly all earlier Porsches. When installing an engine into one of these early cars, you need to use a cable-driven throttle body and corresponding crossover tube that matches that engine. (I.E. use the cable-driven throttle body from a 1999 996 Carrera when installing a 3.4 engine: the standard 2.5L throttle body is too small). The Boxster cable attaches directly to the 996 throttle body with no modifications necessary.

- Very early 1997 cars had non-programmable DMEs. If you have one of these cars, you might need to purchase a new DME and matching immobilizer to go along with it. Immobilizer codes for these early cars are not stored in the Porsche dealer information system, so there's no way of linking the existing immobilizer to a new DME. Don't buy a 1997 if you are definitely planning on doing an upgrade as you might get stuck with one of these non-programmable DMEs.

- Boxster engines from 2000-02 and all 996 engines have an extra crossover tube with a variable resonance flap that is controlled by the DME. When you reflash your 5.2.2 DME to control the new engine, you also need to add some wires to the DME harness. The resonance flap is controlled by a solenoid switch that then applies vacuum to the flapper. You wire this solenoid by running one wire to a 12V source and the other wire to pin 59 on the DME (the DME controls the valve with a switchable ground).

so, you may be able to just bolt on your entire 2.5 intake, otherwise you will have to address the resonance flap issue (or replace it with a straight tube, or use an rpm-driven window switch) as well as the throttle body issue (2.7 has a larger throttle body than a 2.5 so you can't reuse your 2.5 tb without replacing the plenum as well and not sure how it will mate to the rest of the 2.7 intake runners, etc. - soln is a 996 tb which requires the 996/997 plenum). and there is the non-programmable ecu issue. i don't think you want to get into a dme swap (unless perhaps the new 2.7 is coming with the required electronics?) so i think you are going to have to cross fingers and hope the 2.5 ecu can adapt to the larger displacement of the 2.7 (i know raby would run their 3.6 builds with a 3.2 tune ...). of course this means no re-pinning the ecu to drive the resonance flap.

Last edited by The Radium King; 07-02-2019 at 09:47 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote