View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
Box7774

awwww you dont have to edit for me PW.....I can handle it. First off I do obsess on everything I work on until I conquer it and make it as good as my abilities will allow. Electrical is not my area.....putting lipstick on a pig is my thing. So the reason I keep chasing this battery scenario is this series of events.
1. The day I bought the car and drove it home there was a couple of times it cranked so slow I thought I was going to be stranded. I did make it home and as I mentioned on my other post i checked the volts the next day and it was at 12.3.....a little low the day after a 3 hour drive.

2. The starter is screeching every third start so I know I have a bendix that is hanging up

3. Before I learned more about the car I didnt understand why the dash lights were staying on after I shut the car off....and the passenger side door light has a mind of its own.

4. Since I have had the car and taken it for evening drives sometimes on re start the engine barely turns over....drives me crazy.

5. as u know I have been checking with my multi meter pretty much daily and the volts are dropping.

Sooooooooooo today it was 12.3 something and I was fed up....so I removed the battery again and took it to Batteries Plus. I learned 2 things today.....She tested with 2 different machines and my volts were 12.55 or better....I swear she said 12.65 the first time. Note I just had the battery in the trunk of my daily driver not connected to anything. So then I am thinking it must be my multi meter this whole time. I tested the battery when I got home and got 12.55. So when I removed it from the car it went from 12.3 something to and hour later at the store to 12.55. Now that kind of makes sense to me because there is zero load on the battery.

I am learning a lot from this experience which I enjoy...and this info will be used in the future for sure.

So multi meter might not be as accurate as I thought
Battery reads higher not in the car
And last but not least....my bad starter is most likely causing the slow start that sounds like a dead battery start.
Box7774 is offline   Reply With Quote