Thread: An odd hiss
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
PaulZR

An odd hiss

Hello all

Sometime lurker, first-time poster. I acquired a very nice '98 2.5 986 a few months ago on the basis that it was too nice not to buy - very straight bodywork, clean interior, 78k and a service book full of stamps - and have been enjoying it greatly.

Putting it to regular use has exposed a few tired parts that need replacing, the most exciting of which was when the air-oil filter thing let go in a cloud of white smoke. However, it's mostly niggles that need a bit of time and attention.

There is one noise that I can't figure out, so I was wondering if anyone here would recognise the description. On hitting a moderate bump in the tarmac, something towards the back of the car makes a noise that can best be described as a sharp "hiss", a bit like a quick blast of air from a compressor or the sound you'd get from dropping a bag full of 2p pieces onto a table. It seems to happen on the decompression after hitting a bump, if that makes sense, and can be heard whether the roof is up or down. I can't see anything obviously loose in the cabin itself.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?
PaulZR is offline   Reply With Quote