View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
I'm having a strange issue with the transmission/shift lever in my Boxster S that I was hoping others could help give input on.

Long story short, the car wouldn't leave 5th gear during my morning commute today. The lever itself is stuck in the 5th gear position, and cannot be pulled back into neutral (I tried to give it a firm pop to free it, dumb idea, and bent the lever slightly). There's no wiggle at all in the lever besides what's normally present when the car is in gear, and no way to get it out of gear presently without disassembly (car off, clutch in doesn't free it up).

The clutch does work though, I can start the car and idle it fine by holding in the clutch pedal. The car is still clearly stuck in 5th gear though.

Any thoughts or input? I'm waiting on a tow now to get it home, but I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience in the past to give me guidance. First step is to definitely make sure that the shift cables are still connected to both the transmission and the shift lever, but beyond that I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
There could be something that got wedged under the shift mechanism.
Coins get in there very easy. after checking cables to trans then try moving levers on transmission by hand if no movement then remove console look for anything that could be jambing the shifter. There are lots plastic parts to the shifter mechanism look for broken parts. let us know what you find
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote