Thread: Brake issues
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke0594 View Post
I'm having trouble with the brakes on my 97 boxster. It needed new brake pads. No problem, or so I thought. Replaced the pads on all for corners. Took the car it for a test drive. Everything seemed ok until I noticed it was slowly decreasing speed. Noticed that the brake pedal was getting hard to push down.

The end result was stranded a couple miles from home with smoke coming from the brakes. They were heating up slowly and then pretty much locked up the front completely and the back brakes were very hot as well just not smoking like the front.

After the car sat for several hours and the brakes cooled off I was able to get it home. Took it to a mechanic and after a new master cylinder and brake booster I am still having the same issue. Mechanic says he doesn't think it's the calipers. I disagree with him. I'm guessing that when pressing in the pistons to get the old pads off something went wrong with the calipers. I checked the brake lines and I dont see any damage to them. Anyone agree to go with the calipers or am I missing something else? Thanks in advance.
Did you at any time during the brake change leave the calipers hanging from the brake hose? I've heard it's possible to damage the inside of the brake hose. While it's not noticeable from the outside, it can act like a check valve. The overwhelming force from the master cylinder can push the fluid through in one direction, but the restriction holds the pressure on the piston side, so it doesn't retract. I'm talking about the rubber hoses, not the metal lines.

Last edited by piper6909; 06-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote