View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

For me, rotation means that when I enter a corner, I may lift off the gas, which gets the rear to step out slightly, allowing me to point the car into the turn quicker, so I can then get on the gas sooner. That "rotation" is different than oversteer, which would be the rear of the car stepping out in a constant cornering mode. This behavior is what makes a mid-engine car so wonderful, you can steer the car with the throttle to a degree.

Now that I think about it, it's not so much that the back end steps out, but that it's the combination of the rear stepping out every so slightly and the front end getting a really good bite to get the car pointed into the turn.

This corner entry lift is brief, just enough to get the car to rotate (there it is again!), and then I'm back on the gas. Getting on the gas doesn't necessarily mean full throttle. Normally, you want to be at least maintaining throttle or accelerating in a turn once you are done with your corner entry. Coasting in a turn should be a rare occurrence, like on a cool-down lap.

Rotating the car doesn't work in all corners, mostly just ones where a change of direction is pretty quick. You wouldn't try this in a high speed sweeper, for instance, but you certainly would going into a chicane.

I hope this makes sense.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote