View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
bbiela

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Can you help me to understand this concept, please? (I'm still a little green on some of this)

I think I understand how upgrading the rear bar can reduce understeer. no problem there.
But I'm not following how it helps the car to rotate. Maybe I'm calling rotation something DIFFERENT from what rotation really IS?
When I enter a corner, there's a moment where the weight transfers in the rear and it helps turn the car. Occasionally there's a small slide associated, but it's usually just the weight moving to the outside. I think I'm typically (maybe always?) still trail-braking as this occurs, and so the weight goes especially to the outside-front tire, which then hooks /bites / turns.

It seems like the "looser" the rear is, the easier that weight transfers? It seems like stiffening the rear bar would decrease the roll, decreasing the weight that gets transferred, decreasing the rotation. It seems almost like it would oversteer a little more easily.

So, am I thinking of "rotation" incorrectly? or am I misunderstanding the dynamics of how it happens?
I'm with you on this and the reason for my post. My understanding is a stiffer sway bar will cause that end of the car to be flatter and to lose grip sooner, hence allowing it to rotate better. My concern was that the car would then be tail happy. Correct me if my understanding is incorrect

I'm going to install it this weekend, I have a DE next weekend and can let you know.
bbiela is offline   Reply With Quote