View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #4
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
This is what I did on my 986. It reduces understeer a bit and allows the car to rotate more easily without getting too slap-happy. Depending on the exact tire sizes and compounds you run it may be the right move. I ran mostly 225/245 NT-01 and balance was good.
Can you help me to understand this concept, please? (I'm still a little green on some of this)

I think I understand how upgrading the rear bar can reduce understeer. no problem there.
But I'm not following how it helps the car to rotate. Maybe I'm calling rotation something DIFFERENT from what rotation really IS?
When I enter a corner, there's a moment where the weight transfers in the rear and it helps turn the car. Occasionally there's a small slide associated, but it's usually just the weight moving to the outside. I think I'm typically (maybe always?) still trail-braking as this occurs, and so the weight goes especially to the outside-front tire, which then hooks /bites / turns.

It seems like the "looser" the rear is, the easier that weight transfers? It seems like stiffening the rear bar would decrease the roll, decreasing the weight that gets transferred, decreasing the rotation. It seems almost like it would oversteer a little more easily.

So, am I thinking of "rotation" incorrectly? or am I misunderstanding the dynamics of how it happens?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote