View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #1
jay2015
Jay

Chasing gas smell

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Boxster-S with 50K miles. I have learned a lot from this forum and have been able to do few things. Recently, I have been chasing two things.

Gas Smell:

1. When I park the car in the garage and go to garage afterwords, I could smell gas. I researched the forum and first thing I noticed was cracked seal on the gas cap. I bought a OEM gas cap and replaced it.

2. After replacing gas cap, I did not smell any gas for a week, I had put just a few gallons to keep the level low just in case I need to replace the sending unit. When the level got to feed me, I started to smell gas very faint (like 5% of the original level i.e. before changing gas cap)

I also checked the sending unit yesterday and did not see any evidence (dirt, too clean or raw fuel) on the sending unit. So I am assuming the sending unit is ok. I put in 8 gallons today and will keep an ear on it .

3. Like lots of other people I have difficulty fueling the car. The fueling works great if I leave the key in ignition with on (not starting the car), the car takes fuel and the pump stops when the car is full like it should.

I read a lot about above and checked and replaced E6 even though it looks fine. However, what is the connection between ignition off and not fueling and fuels fine with ignition on? If I remove the front right wheel and start looking at the vent valve what should I be looking at from troubleshooting perspective.

Best regards,

Jay