View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
tonythetiger
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I'm not from St. Louis, so I can't recommend anyone for you, but what you're describing sounds like a water pump failure. In most cars, keeping up with the coolant would be OK for a quick drive to a shop or home. From what I've read on these forums, though, failure to the point where the impeller disintegrates can could cause you serious engine problems. So I wouldn't chance driving it. Do you have AAA?

It could be something as minor as a hose, but if it is, it could burst entirely and then you'd be overheating. Even if you don't have AAA, paying for a tow would be good insurance.
dollars for donuts, its a water pump, and your car was VERY polite about it; gave you options. I think the best advice would be tow it to a shop and have the pump replaced. It is a common repair, really considered maintenance. I hope folks here can give you an idea on cost, I do this kinda stuff myself.

I like shops that let me source the parts and charge me labor. You have to absorb the chance of part failure, but it can save you hundreds.
you want a Pierburg Water Pump and a new serpentine belt
Consider the low temp thermostat replacement at the same time and be prepared to replace the front motor mount, since they wear out and the easiest way to replace the WP is pulling off the motor mount, its a do it while your in there thing.

Read the pelican tech article on water pump replacement so you know what is involved and can talk to the shop about it, understand what they have to do, determine if they are overcharging you. Read it, it helps even if you arent doing it and that is much of the fun of these cars, for me at least.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm

let us know how it works out.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote