View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Sounds to me like we're talking about a different type of dual mass flywheel. What LUK is describing there is a far cry from what's installed on the M96. Those types of dual-mass flywheels have been used on large-equipment motors for quite some time, and are in production cars recently because of the significant vibrations inherent in small 3, $ 4 cylinder motors with very small displacement, where the firing pattern doesn't allow for an even delivery of power. But even then, the number one concern is the transfer of that uneven torque / vibration / sound / harmonics to the driveline.

And as to your snarky comment about my "cherished" lwfw: that's how we GOT to this conversation, friend. And that's the only reason I can think of to ditch the comfort of a dual-mass flywheel. (can YOU think of another reason?)

there was really no need to get personal about this, JFP. we were being friendly. maybe a little sarcastic, hehe but friendly.

I think some of y'all have become very comfortable tossing-out "conventional wisdom", as if it were fact. I realize that's very common: the more something gets repeated without being challenged, the more it is just accepted as truth. The problem is that now you're offended when someone challenges it. I'm not being rude, I'm questioning because it's what I do: I'm a "disruptive innovator" by trade. If it doesn't make sense, then let's change how we're doing it. If conventional wisdom is right, then let's keep it. But if it doesn't hold-up to scrutiny, then let's put it back in the "needs further research" category. (or even the "myth debunked" category)
DMF's come in many physical and mechanical configurations, the use of elastomeric separators like those found in the 986/987 DMF are just the latest and lowest cost variety, which is very common in modern passenger cars.

The white paper I referred to is just one of several available that trace the development and evolution of the concept from its first automotive use in 1985; it is hardly "conventional wisdom", but more an attempt to document the history, practical use, and end value of an idea from the first bent spring design to the current use of elastomeric materials.

To put an end to this as I can clearly see not interested in the background of why the DMF was developed and deployed, as well as what it was designed to do, just remember that there is "needs further research", and then there is what is called conformational bias, which implies disregarding whatever data does not fit a preconceived notion...….

Have a nice weekend.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 06-07-2019 at 02:30 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote